Shopping malls, theme parks, expositions and other commercial venues are dealing with the same challenge: How do crowds use their space? Commercial attractive areas and retail locations need to be placed logically in order to serve everyone and increase sales. Passageways must provide sufficient capacity for all visitors and the venue has to be evacuated safely and effectively in case of emergency. And in complex urban settings, the demands of other stakeholders (police, local authorities) can impose regulatory constraints. In addition to all of these challenges, there is no such thing as an ‘ordinary day’. Sales, special events, the weather and other variables affect the number of visitors and the visitor flows.
Simulation software is the solution for simulating visitor flows in complex infrastructures and can be used to evaluate the performance and safety of the people and venue. Simulation software enables you to:
- Determine commercial attractive areas for retailers and commercial business.
- Determine lead an waiting times for retail facilities, rest room facilities, entrances, and so on.
- Evaluate the capacity and safety of passages, walkways, turnstiles, etc.
- Gain insight in the effect of special events or shows on specific locations in your venue.
- Test and compare different scenarios, such as law enforcement and security measures, emergency evacuation and response plans, inflow and outflow of visitors, etc.
- Gain insight into the complete infrastructure environment, visitor flows, bottlenecks and safety risks.
- Present the infrastructural design of your commercial venue with visitor flows in a 2D and 3D visualization and report to your stakeholders.
- Determine the evacuation times and develop evacuation scenarios and contingency plans.
- Save time and money by testing and validating various functionalities during the design phase.
Safety, capacity and commerce at commercial venues
Crowd simulation has gained ground in the last few years. The visitors’ safety has become the primary concern for large commercial venues. Crowd simulation provides answers to complex, logistical issues related to commerce and capacity management. As a result event organizers, architects, authorities and emergency services are using simulation software to support their mission. INCONTROL offers its own crowd simulation platform Pedestrian Dynamics®.
Our state-of-the-art robust simulation software platform is a result of decades of our project experience, knowledge and academic research and is a perfect fit for large commercial infrastructure environment. Examples of commercial venue projects include: Optimizing visitor flows at the “end of the day” show at theme park ‘De Efteling’; Analysis of visitor flows in the Chinese pavilion at the World Expo 2010 in Shanghai.